Breaking Barriers is a unique and exciting resiliency-building support group for black female youth aged 15-18. This group addresses emotional and societal issues that affect black girls’ mental health and everyday life. Participants will gain support, practice real-life skills, and will have the opportunity to observe and change patterns to achieve personal and professional goals.
Black females aged 15-18 are welcome to attend this virtual group. Register as soon as possible as space is limited!
Support Group Topics
- Defining and understanding individual values, identity, race, and culture
- Building self-esteem and self-worth
- Practicing self-compassion, gratitude, and positive self-talk
- Understanding assertive vs. aggressive and passive communication
- Communicating healthy boundaries
- Building healthy relationships
- Exploring diversity in the workplace
- Career and post-secondary planning
- Learning how to set “SMART” goals
- October 25, 2022: Sheila Ennin will connect with parents and guardians to discuss support group content
- November 1, 2022
- November 8, 2022
- November 15, 2022
- November 22, 2022
- November 29, 2022
- December 6, 2022
*We ask that participants attend each support group date to complete the content.
4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
The support group will take place virtually via Zoom. After registering, you will receive a link.
For More Information & To Register
Participants will be asked to complete a brief intake form prior to the course. This background information is confidential and is only shared with the facilitator who will use the information to tailor support group content to your needs.
Contact Deidre Martens at email@example.com or 780-482-6215 ext. 222 to register.
*For minors: To register for this support group, both parents or legal guardian(s) will be asked to provide written consent for participants under the age of 18. The facilitator will also request a brief phone consultation with a parent or guardian prior to the start of the group to discuss this consent and answer any questions that arise. Please contact Deidre Martens to learn more.
We reserve the right to cancel workshops due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment.