Indigenous Counselling in Edmonton

Indigenous counselling clients may have access to coverage for mental health counselling services through funding from Indigenous Services, including the Non-Insured Health Benefits (FNIHB) Program or the Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Program (IRS RHSP). These programs provide counselling services to Indigenous people who qualify.

  • The Non-Insured Health Benefits (FNIHB) Program provides eligible people with coverage for mental health counselling to address short-term crisis situations.
  • The goal of the IRS RHSP is to provide former students of residential schools and their families with mental and emotional support.

Any psychologist or social worker who provides indigenous counselling under these programs must be approved and registered with Indigenous Services. You can find more details on both programs on the First Nations and Inuit Health Guide to Mental Health Counselling Services website.

Indigenous Counselling in Edmonton

A member of our Client Relations team would be happy to talk with you and start the application process for our indigenous counselling program. Below is a brief outline of how it works:

  1. Call us at 780.482.6215 ext. 0. Have your Certificate of Indian Status Card ready when you call.
  2. The Client Relations employee will ask you a few initial questions. When they ask if you have extended health benefits, explain that you are a Status Card holder.
  3. The Client Relations employee will set up an appointment with one of our three registered psychologists who are enrolled in the FNIHB Program.
  4. Bring your Status Card to your initial appointment. Upon arrival, you will have to fill out some forms to complete your application.

FNIHB-Enrolled Counsellors Offering Indigenous Counselling