Funding Through First Nations Inuit Health Board

Indigenous clients may have access to coverage for Mental Health Counselling Services through the Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) Program or the Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Program (IRS RHSP). The First Nations Inuit Health Board provides counselling services to First Nations People who qualify for the program. These services have been developed by the NIHB Program and the IRS RHSP.

  • The NIHB Program’s Mental Health Care benefits provide eligible people with coverage for mental health counselling to address short-term crisis situations.
  • The goal of the IRS RHSP is to provide former students of residential schools and their families with mental and emotional support.

Any psychologist or social worker who provides counselling under these programs must be approved and registered with the First Nation Health Authority. You can find more details on both programs on the First Nations and Inuit Health Guide to Mental Health Counselling Services website.

One of our Intake Workers would be happy to talk with you and start the application process. Below is a brief outline of how it works:

  1. Call one of our Intake Workers at 780.482.6215 ext. 0. Have your Certificate of Indian Status Card ready when you call.
  2. The intake worker will ask you a few initial questions. When they ask if you have extended health benefits, explain that you are a Status Card holder.
  3. The Intake Worker will set up an appointment with one of our two registered psychologists who are enrolled in the NIHB Program.
  4. Bring your Status Card to your initial appointment. Upon arrival, you will have to fill out some forms to complete your application.

For More Information

Our NIHB-Enrolled Counsellors