Funding Through Indigenous Services
Indigenous clients may have access to coverage for mental health counselling services through Express Scripts (FNIHB) or the Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Program (IRS RHSP). These programs provide counselling services to Indigenous people who qualify.
- Express Scripts (FNIHB) Benefit Program provides eligible people with coverage for mental health counselling to address short-term crisis situations.
- The goal of the IRS RHSP is to provide former students of residential schools and their families with mental and emotional support.
Any psychologist or social worker who provides counselling under these programs must be approved and registered with Indigenous Services. You can find more details on both programs on the First Nations and Inuit Health Guide to Mental Health Counselling Services website.
A member of our Client Relations team would be happy to talk with you and start the application process. Below is a brief outline of how it works:
- Call us at 780.482.6215 ext. 0. Have your Certificate of Indian Status Card ready when you call.
- The Client Relations employee will ask you a few initial questions. When they ask if you have extended health benefits, explain that you are a Status Card holder.
- The Client Relations employee will set up an appointment with one of our three registered psychologists who are enrolled in the FNIHB Program.
- Bring your Status Card to your initial appointment. Upon arrival, you will have to fill out some forms to complete your application.